IHAMB - Parental Notification Relative To Sex Education
Adopted: March 10, 2016
In accordance with General Laws Chapter 71, Section 32A, the Hopkinton School Committee has adopted this policy on the rights of parents and guardians of our students in relation to curriculum that primarily involves human sexual education on human sexuality issues.
All parents/guardians of students in our schools will be notified in writing of the courses and curriculum we offer that primarily involve human sexual education or human sexuality issues. This shall be done through distribution of the Student Handbook for each school, or in a separate written communication. If the planned curriculum changes during the school year, parents/guardians will be notified of this fact in a timely manner before implementation.
Each such notice to parents/guardians will include a brief description of the curriculum covered by this policy, and will inform parents/guardians that they may:
- Exempt their child from any portion of the curriculum that primarily involves human sexual education or human sexuality issues, without penalty to the student, by sending a letter to the school principal requesting an exemption. Any student who is exempted by request of the parent/guardian under this policy may be given an alternative assignment.
- Inspect and review program instruction materials for these curricula, which will be made accessible to parents/guardians and others to the extent practicable. Parents/guardians may arrange with the principal to review the materials at the school, and may also review them at other locations that may be determined by the Superintendent of Schools.
- A - Foundations and Basic Commitments
- B - School Board Governance and Operations
- C - General School Administration
- D - Fiscal Management
- E - Support Services
- F - Facilities Development
- G - Personnel
- H - Negotiations
- I - Instructional Program
- J - Students
- K - School-Community Relations
- L - Education Agency Relations