Fiscal Management Goals
Adopted: October 2, 2014
The quantity and quality of learning programs provided by the School District are directly dependent on the effective, efficient management of appropriated and otherwise allocated funds. It follows that achievement of the School District's purposes can best be achieved through excellent fiscal management.
As trustee of local, state, and federal funds allocated for use in public education, the School Committee will fulfill its responsibility to see that these funds are used wisely for achievement of the purposes to which they are allocated.
Because of resource limitations, there is sometimes a temptation to operate so that fiscal concerns overshadow the educational program. Recognizing this, it is essential that the school district take specific action to make sure education remains central and that fiscal matters are ancillary and contribute to the educational program. This concept will be incorporated into School Committee operations and into all aspects of school district management and operation.
In the school district's fiscal management, it is the School Committee’s intent:
- To engage in thorough advance planning, with staff and community involvement, in order to develop budgets and to guide expenditures so as to achieve the greatest educational returns and the greatest contributions to the educational program in relation to dollars expended.
- To establish responsible levels of funding that will provide high quality education for the students.
- To use the best available techniques for budget development and fiscal management.
- To provide timely and appropriate information to all staff with fiscal management responsibilities.
- To establish procedures for accounting, reporting, business, purchasing and delivery, payroll, payment of vendors and contractors, and all other areas of fiscal management.
MASC Model Policies
- A - Foundations and Basic Commitments
- B - School Board Governance and Operations
- C - General School Administration
- D - Fiscal Management
- E - Support Services
- F - Facilities Development
- G - Personnel
- H - Negotiations
- I - Instructional Program
- J - Students
- K - School-Community Relations
- L - Education Agency Relations