School Committee Officers
Adopted: October 5, 2006
Amended: October 5, 2017
The Chair of the School Committee has the same powers as any other member of the Committee to vote upon all measures coming before it, to offer resolutions and to discuss questions. He/she/they will perform those duties that are consistent with his/her/their office and those required by law, state regulations, and this Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the chair will:
- Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee.
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee’s agendas.
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Committee meetings.
- Appoint subcommittees as defined in the policy on School Governance and Operations.
- Call special meetings of the Committee as necessary.
- Be a public spokesperson for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others.
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings.
As the presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the chair will:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
- Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order.
- Enforce the Committee’s policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings.
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if this is not clear to members.
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee.
- Answer all parliamentary inquiries.
- Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
The vice-chair of the Committee will act in the absence of the chair as presiding officer of the Committee and will perform such duties as may be delegated or assigned.
- A - Foundations and Basic Commitments
- B - School Board Governance and Operations
- C - General School Administration
- D - Fiscal Management
- E - Support Services
- F - Facilities Development
- G - Personnel
- H - Negotiations
- I - Instructional Program
- J - Students
- K - School-Community Relations
- L - Education Agency Relations