Hopkinton HS Jazz EnsembleWelcome to the Hopkinton HS Jazz Ensemble web page. All announcements, important information, and important dates can be found here. Please refer to this site regularly for updates.
Upcoming Jazz Ensemble Dates - We will rehearse weekly on Wednesday evening (6:30-8:30) and Friday morning from 6:35-7:15. Rehearsals will begin on Wednesday 9/6. Sectional rehearsals will begin the week of 9/11. All sectionals are at 6:30 a.m. as follows:
Monday - trombones
Wednesday - rhythm
Thursday - trumpets
Jazz Ensemble will explore in depth the various styles of America’s music. This music is one of few that was born here and reflects all Americans at their best. It is rooted in the blues, deeply spiritual and emotional by nature, and requires a great deal of risk to play it the right way. Only through listening to the jazz greats before us can we truly capture the intent of the musicians and truly find our own voice as an ensemble. Unlike the music that you will play in other idioms, jazz is what is NOT on the page. In addition to learning the styles of Ellington, Basie, Mingus, Rich (and many others) we will learn a good deal about each other and the attempt to come closer to the world and community around us. The music department as a whole works to instill discipline, responsibility, and a respect for others and we will reflect these ideals.
Units/ Big Ideas
The different “unit” that we will study will focus on the great jazz big band of the past and present. The different styles of jazz that we will focus on will be driven by the performance calendar and the different festivals that we will perform in throughout the year. Jazz is truly a collection of unique languages that we will all learn to speak together.
Rehearsal Schedule and Expectations
- Attendance at all rehearsals is required. In order to reach our potential we must rehearse regularly with all members present.
- Rehearsal conflicts – Please make aware of any rehearsal conflicts ASAP. It is imperative that we have a full ensemble at each and every rehearsal.
- Absences – All rehearsal absences should be brought to my attention through email as far in advance as possible except in emergency cases. All absences without notice are considered unexcused.
- Unexcused Absences/ routine lateness – Three unexcused absences or unexcused tardies could result in being asked to leave the group.
- Rehearsal Etiquette - The Jazz Ensemble is an extension of the daily band program offered during the school day. Rehearsals should reflect the same care, respect, and efficiency.
- CELL PHONES - During rehearsals cell phones are to be used as concert tuners only. While rehearsing phones should be kept out of reach. During long rehearsals we will take a break at which time you may check your phones.
Setup and Breakdown
- Students are expected to arrive BEFORE the rehearsal is scheduled to allow time for individual warm-up
- Students should begin setting up immediately upon arrival at rehearsal.
- Rehearsals will begin promptly.
- Wind Instruments: You are responsible for setting up chairs and stands for your section.
- Rhythm section: you are responsible for setting up your equipment at the beginning of rehearsal and returning your equipment to its proper place of storage after every rehearsal.
Students are expected to set aside an adequate amount of time EVERY DAY to learn all music passed out in rehearsals (30 minutes is considered the absolute minimum). It is only when every individual works to perform his or her part the best that the ensemble as a whole can reach its potential! Practicing is needed, expected, and is required.
Concert Attendance - This is what we are here for. Each member is a vital part of the ensemble. Please inform Mr. Dodge of any conflicts ASAP.
Jazz Ensemble 2017-2018 Important Dates
August 16- Summer Rehearsal 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
August 22 - Summer Rehearsal 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
September 6 - Wednesday 6:30 - First evening rehearsal
September 11 - Morning sectionals and rehearsals begin. These sectionals will run every week unless otherwise noted. Please check your email on Sunday night for any updates.
Monday 6:30 a.m. - trombone sectional
Tuesday 6:30 a.m. - saxophone sectional
Wednesday 6:30 a.m. - rhythm sectional
Thursday 6:30 a.m. -trumpet sectional
Friday 6:30 a.m. - full rehearsal
September 12- Evening Rehearsal will be on Tuesday at 6:30 this week due to Middle School Back to School Night. Please check this date and let me know if you are unavailable.
November 9th or 10th (Thursday/Friday) - MINGUS RECORDING 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. location TBD. Please check at home to decide what date we want to use. Friday is Veterans day so we are off. (Time would probably change to late afternoon, 3-7ish)
December 13 (Tuesday) - HS Concert
February 27 - Tuesday Rehearsal @ 6:30 p.m.
February 28 - MAJE Competition at Nipmuc High School - Time TBD.
March 10 (Saturday) - UNH Jazz Festival
April 11 (Wednesday) - Jazz Night
April 17 - UMASS Jazz Festival - Time TBD -
May 20 (Sunday) - POPS Concert